WaterBoss® explains on their website that hard water is the amount of minerals, calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate in your water. One way to remove this “dissolved rock” from your water supply is to install a water softener. The best way to determine whether or not your water is hard is to have it tested.
You can usually detect hard water by the evidence in your home, including:
- Soap scum on bathtubs, shower tiles, and basins
- Film left on the body resulting in dry skin and dull, limp hair
- Decreased cleaning capabilities of soaps and detergents, resulting in dingy laundry and reduced life of clothing.
- Increased buildup of scale on plumbing fixtures and cooking utensils such as a tea kettle, coffee maker, and dishwashers.
- Clogged shower head and pipes
Most water softener systems require that you install a separate whole house filter that requires periodic changing of the water filter cartridges. The WaterBoss® whole house water softener features a built in self-cleaning dirt and sediment filter.
Stop into your local Hardware Hank and ask an expert how they can help.